This is a delicious spin on the comfort classic… Mac and cheese. It is so easy and delicious and it takes no time at all in the crock-pot. Mac and cheese is a side dish that is so versatile and you can add so many things to it. I guess that is why mac and cheese is a classic comfort food.
So let’s get started.
1 box elbow macaroni pasta
4 tbsp – Butter
4 cups – Milk
4 cups – Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Salt And Pepper (to taste)
1/2 tsp Ground Mustard Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
4 to 6 slices Bacon – roughly chopped
1 small can Green Chiles – mild or hot
1 tsp ground Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
- Spray or line your crock-pot with oil spray or a liner.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the bacon) into the crock-pot and stir to combine well. Make sure to submerge the pasta into the liquid.
- Attach the lid and turn the heat to low and cook for 2 hours or until the pasta is tender OR high for 1 hour 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- In the meantime, Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Remove to a lined plate to drain and cool.
- When you have about 20 to 30 minutes left in the cook time add the bacon and stir to combine well. Place the lid back on and continue to cook another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve warm
- If you want the pasta to be a bit more spicy add hot green chiles and 2+ tsp of ground chipotle peppers. (to taste)
- To make ground chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Place one can of chipotle peppers with sauce and seeds into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Store in a mason jar with a fitted lid in the fridge up to 4 months+. Use when needed.
- You can add other types of cheeses such as Monterey Jack Cheese. Just make sure what ever you use it equals out to 4 cups in total.
- You can sub out regular bacon for turkey bacon.
- This mac and cheese makes for a fabulous grilled mac and cheese sandwich… Yes, We have tried it. Yes it is an indulgence and should be eaten sparingly.
- I have also made this mac and cheese into fried mac and cheese balls….For a special occasion and they are so good. Chill in the fridge until set. Roll into ball shapes. Roll in egg. Roll in seasoned flour/breadcrumbs and deep fry until golden. Drain on a lined plate to drain and cool.
- When you cook the mac and cheese please check the pasta at the 1 hour mark. Just to make sure the pasta is tender or not. Once the pasta is just tender add the bacon and finish the cooking process of the pasta. Once the pasta is completely tender you are ready to enjoy.
- If you want it more cheesy just add more cheese. If you want it less cheesy just add less cheese.
- Always add less seasoning than you think you need because you can always add more but you can not take it out once it is to salty. Start with a little and adjust from there.