Cubed steak doesn’t have to be just smothered in gravy for deep fried. I love making all sorts of things with cubed steak. Some people have no clue what to do with this cut of meat and that’s ok. I am going to show you how to make a delicious cubed steak sandwich with onion and peppers. It is so easy, delicious, and will be a part of your dinner recipe collection.
When I was just married and had no clue what to do with cubed steak except to fry it and smother it with gravy. I started playing around in the kitchen and made this sandwich and I’ve made it ever since. Now, when it comes to this sandwich the thinner you cut the cubed steak the more tender it will be. I usually cut it about 1/8 of an inch thick and it works out perfectly for me. If you cut it any larger than that then it tends to be slightly tough. That is cubed steak for you. If you don’t cook it just right it is like eating leather. We do not want that.
So let’s get started with the recipe.
1 Onion – sliced 1/3 inch slices ( large onion or two small)
1 Bell Pepper – sliced 1/3 inch slices ( 1 large or two small)
2 Tbsp Butter – room temp
2 Lbs. Cubed Steak – Cut to 1/8 of an inch thick but no more than 1/4 inch thick
2 Tsp. Seasoned Salt – any brand will do
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper – Or less ( we do not want spice but just the flavor)
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
1/4 Cup. Worcestershire Sauce – ( your favorite brand)
A few dashes of hot sauce – ( I use crystal or franks)
Hoagie Rolls or Sub Rolls
Butter for the rolls
- Cut your cubed steak to 1/8 inch thick and against the grain and place in a bowl.
- Add the seasoned salt, cayenne, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss to combine. Let stand about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime cut the onion and peppers.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the 2 tbsp butter and let melt. Add the onion and peppers and a bit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and cook until slightly tender. This should take about 5 minutes.
- While that is happening, You can go ahead and butter up the rolls and either bake in the oven to golden brown but I like to do it in a hot skillet. It just goes faster for me. Just put a pan over medium heat and let it get hot. Then just add the buttered rolls (open) to the pan and brown on the inside. This will not take long at all so keep a watchful eye on them as the can burn rather quickly. This only takes me about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and close the up the rolls and place on a plate covered. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the onions are tender go ahead and add in your cubed steak and toss to coat will the butter and veggies. These do not take long at all to cook. If you cook them to much they get rubbery. So , after mixing with the veggies let them be and cook on the one side about 2 minutes or so. Then add the hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Toss to coat and let the meat cook another 3 to 4 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Quickly remove from the heat to a bowl or serving platter. You don’t want to leave them in the pan as this will continue to over cook them. Once removed from the pan the temp of the meat will quickly rise and then fall to cool. Let them rest about 5 minutes. This will slowly finish the cooking process and not over cook the meat.
- Now, All you have to do is add some of this wonderful mixture to your toasted hoagie rolls and enjoy!
- My husband and daughter like to add mayo to the hoagie rolls and then add the filling. We all like to add more hot sauce to the top.
- You can add mushrooms to the mix as well if you want a more bulky filling. We do this occasionally. Just slice up your mushrooms ( any kind will do) and add them to the mixture when you add the onions and peppers and toss to coat. I cut mine rather thick so they do not get mushy when cooking.
- You can also make this meat free and just add double or triple the amount of onions, peppers, mushrooms, and maybe even some spicy peppers. And just add vegan style Worcestershire sauce and use vegan friendly butter instead. We are not a vegan family but we do often times go meatless, however, our sauces are not vegan friendly. Use your favorite vegan friendly sauces and butter.
- If you are keto- which I love to eat keto from time to time- Just pile in more butter.. and use your favorite keto friendly version of bread or low carb version of bread. When I eat keto I completely leave out the bread and just simply eat it with a fork with a keto friendly side like broccoli and cheese or a side salad.
- Also if you are keto – Leave out the onion and use a lower sugar onion like scallions which have 1/2 the sugar content and still have a ton of health benefits like fiber and beneficial sulfur compounds. I would add in about 4 or 5 scallions roughly chopped and add them after I add the meat because they do not take long at all to cook down. Add double the peppers and mushrooms as they both are great for a keto diet.
2 thoughts on “Cubed Steak Sandwiches”
Hi I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb jo.