Focaccia is such an easy dish to make. You can pretty much add whatever topping you like and call it a day. Now focaccia is somewhat different than pizza. The dough is dimpled and drizzled with olive oil and it is then scented with simple toppings like rosemary and thyme. It is a dish that is so simple yet absolutely delicious. This is my take on the fabulous focaccia with a few of my favorite toppings.
It is very easy to make… so let’s get started.
1 focaccia dough ( see focaccia recipe)
1 to 2 boneless and skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup olive oil plus 1/3 cup for dough
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp spoon garlic plus 1 tsp – minced
1 large sprig of rosemary- leaves stripped and set aside
1 whole tomato- thinly sliced- or 1 cup cherry tomatoes -halved
- In a ziplock bag add the chicken, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic. Release all the air from the bag and seal. Massage the mixture to well combine. Set aside for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Pre heat a grill pan (or a regular pan if you do not have a grill pan) over medium low heat and add the chicken. Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness or until completely cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside to cool. Slice in to thin slices. Also thinly slice your tomatoes or halve them if you are using cherry tomatoes.
- preheat the oven to 400* and prepare the dough.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/3 inch thick or to fit your pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Take the tips of your fingers and slightly dimple the dough. Combine the 1 tbsp of garlic and the 1/3 cup of oil and brush the dough with the oil ( or you can drizzle the dough with oil and sprinkle the garlic over). Make sure to get the edges of the dough as well.
- Sprinkle over the rosemary. Layer on the thinly sliced chicken followed by the tomatoes. You can add a bit more olive oil if you like.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. I like to serve with a side salad.