This is a very simple and easy recipe to whip together. The longest is waiting while it cooks in the instant pot. These baked beans are full of flavor and you can take them to all of your picnic or BBQ adventures this summer. Not only is it a summer treat but it is simple enough to make during the winter when you are craving the summer flare as we all do from time to time. Here is what you will need.
1 lb of navy or northern beans
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup bacon, diced
2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp old bay seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups of water or broth
- In your instant pot turn the setting to sautee. Add in the bacon and render the fat from the bacon. Do not crisp the bacon just let it get a slight color to it.
- Add the onion and cook until the onions are slightly tender. About 5 minutes. Turn the instant pot off.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the salt. If you add the salt now the beans will not cook properly. We don’t want that. We want nicely cooked soft beans.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and attach the lid.
- Press the manual button and press the adjust button until you get to the more setting. This allows the instant pot to have more pressure to cook.
- Adjust the time using the + or – button to reach the 60 minute time. You can go to 50 minutes for a more bite in the bean. This is where the bean is a bit more hard in the middle. You can go to the 55 or 60-minute mark for a more softer bean. I like mine at the 60 minute where it is a bit softer.
- Make sure the release valve is set to sealing.
- Allow the beans to cook the full amount of time you like. Do not release the valve. Allow the beans to sit for 10 minutes in the instant pot to naturally release the pressure.
- Detach the lid and give the beans a stir and add salt to taste. Check the seasoning and add more if needed. Plate and serve.
Allow the beans to fully cool before storing in a container in the fridge.